Thursday, April 11, 2019

Critical Reflection



My personal aim of this module at the start of the course is to have the ability to channel my thoughts into words and to also write confidently and expressively. Throughout the entire course, the class was tasked with different assignments which requires writing with proper tense and grammar. The class also had activities in class like summarizing, paraphrasing, etc, all of which requires proper writing. Through this platform, it instilled confidence in me to write fluently. These practices allowed me to make mistakes and I learnt from them which made me a better writer as I slowly improved, week by week. However, the learning process does not stop here. I have made a promise to myself that I will continue writing every week to maintain the standard and improve even more in the future.

...


The technical report in the project was an issue to me throughout the completion of the entire project. As writing is my weakness for this module, I have always feared that I would slow down my group’s speed or momentum in completing the project. Hence, with the group knowing each other’s strengths and weaknesses, Weijie, my group mate, and I filled in the contents of the report while Darryl, another group mate who has good writing skills edited our grammar, language and tenses. From there, I slowly picked up and learnt from my mistakes as I improved and continued writing the technical report.

The presentation of engineering problem to the class does not pose an issue to me as I strongly feel that speaking up in a crowd is one of my forte. In fact, I look forward to the presentation date. However, there were a few things that I have learnt from this presentation despite it being my forte. I have learnt the proper technique and posture of presenting in front of a crowd; things that I have not learnt before in poly or secondary school. With this, it really was a bonus to me as it made me even more confident in presenting.

I personally feel that with this skill acquired, it will help me in the long run, let’s say for a job interview in the future. Not only does this skill helps me to present better in a crowd, but it also helps to build confidence in me to speak up to anyone professionally.

...


The last time I presented in front of judges and more than a couple of professors was back then in Poly for my final year project. I could still remember how nerve-wrecking it was. However, for this presentation showcase, I genuinely felt excited and happy to present to my course mates, lectures and 2 judges who are experienced industry experts.

I felt confident throughout the entire showcase as I believe that my group mates and I have the ability to speak up and convey the message across. Also, with few rehearsals that we had, I believed that we would nail the presentation from the start which we did as we received 1st place for the presentation showcase.

However, with all this being said, there was a drawback that I feel we could improve on in the future. One of the judges gave us feedbacks and a rhetorical question which my group and I only replied with a “thank you”. With much regrets, I wish I could turn back time and replied him with a proper counter that would have probably cleared his doubt.

All in all, it was a fun experience having to present in front of a crowd as I look forward to more presentations in the future.





1 comment:

  1. Thanks very much for this comprehensive reflection, Hairi, and for all your hard work this term. I'm happy that you and your team did so well at the showcase. That was a fitting finish to a project well done.

    ReplyDelete

Critical Reflection

My personal aim of this module at the start of the course is to have the ability to channel my thoughts into words and to also write confi...